Surgical Repair for Aneurysm


Mrs. Hu, a 58-year-old Female Patient suffered from aneurysm from China, was admitted into Beijing Puhua International Hospital on 29th April 2007, due to sudden unconsciousness. On arrival at Beijing Puhua International Hospital, she had been unconscious for two days.

Medical condition before neurosurgery

Mrs Hu experienced a sudden unconsciousness while bathing. Her family sitting on the floor found her. They were not able to communicate with her: she was not responsive. She did experience urinary and fecal incontinence, and two episodes of non-projectile vomiting. Her vomit contained only gastric contents. She became less obtunded after a half hour. She could move her left limbs, however, she had slight to no movement of her body. She did not respond to direct questions. She was taken by ambulance to the First Hospital of Shunyi in Beijing, where she immediately underwent a cerebral CT scan. The result revealed a subarachnoid hemorrhage [SAH]. After IV therapy with Mannitol was started, she was sent to the emergency department of Beijing Puhua International Hospital. In the emergency care unit, she received more dehydration therapy to reduce intracranial pressure, and other medical and supportive treatment.  She was then admitted into the Hospital for a further treatment. Cerebral CT scan revealed that there were high density shadows (free blood)in areas of the brain. Routine Blood Test: WBC 9.4×10E9/L, NE 81.6%, RBC 3.5×10E12/L, Hgb 114g/L, HCT 34%, PLT136×10E9/L.  This patient had a sub-arachnoid hemorrhage from a ruptured cerebral aneurysm.

Surgical Repair for Aneurysm

Under general anesthesia, the medical team performed clipping and resection of a giant post carotid-ophthalmic aneurysm via the left frontal-temporal approach. Surgery lasted for six hours.

Medical condition after neurosurgery

Following the successful procedure for anuerysm, her condition became stable. No severe postoperative complications occurred. Her conscious recovered gradually. She did not vomit or become unconscious again. Upon discharge from hospital, she was conscious and was able to communicate with her family and others normally.

Follow up

Reviews of cerebral CT scans post surgery revealed no abnormal signs.

Pre surgery scan


Post surgery scan